Friday, October 30, 2009

THE PIES AND CAKES OF MY LIFE

I grew up sandwiched between the lives of these two women. My Mom on the right was a scratch baker, rarely a recipe in front of her, and if there was one, it was hastily written on any scrap of paper that was handy. My Aunt Frances, (Grandma to me), with the cakes in her hands, kept accurate records in beautiful penmanship on little note cards ~ all on file in a little recipe box neatly organized. Their kitchens were as different as their style of cooking, but the end result was amazing none the less. They lived next door to each other for their entire lives, and shared a life time of family, home, and food.
My Mom insisted that I learn the secret of her pie crust... and had me making pie crust cookies at 7 or 8 years old. Her 'recipe' was more method than measurements. I have spent 40 years making her crust and finally feel like I have hit my stride with pies! Her recipe has been committed to memory. Crisp, dry days in the fall and winter are the best times to bake. She used lard or rendered bear fat, but gave way eventually to Crisco. I have baked with all three and the rendered bear fat produces the most unbelievable light flaky crust. a A French pastry chef had nothing on Mom when it came to her pie crust!
Then there was Grandma's cakes and the chocolate, fudgy frosting that topped them. Dessert at her house was called "toppings" and not much could top off a meal like one of her chocolate cakes. I miss these wonderful women, the kitchens they cooked in and the banter, gossip and love that was ever present.

No comments:

Post a Comment